Learn From Home Elm
An Elm class video tutorial page with worksheets is available at: https://barrow1618school.co.uk/learning-from-home-video-elm
Everyday, there will be a phonics lesson posted on Ruth Miskin's Youtube channel. Follow this link to access the lessons, which will each be available for 24 hours: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo7fbLgY2oA_cFCIg9GdxtQ
- Please ensure that your child reads either their school book or should they complete it, a book of their choice for 20 minutes. I understand that parents/carers may not have the time to listen to their child every day and so even if your child reads to their self, this would really benefit them. Make use of your reading at home chart so that on your child's return to school, they can redeem lots of extra Dojo points! Inside your child's learning from home pack you will find a list of question types to ask your child about their book.
End of year reflection:
What have you enjoyed the most about being in Elm Class? Which topic has been your favourite? (On the Farm, Winter Wonderland, Great Britain, Travel & Transport) What have you achieved whilst in Year 1? What are you looking forward to about being in Year Two?
What have you enjoyed the most about being in Elm Class? (e.g. Elm Class Carnival, singing, visit to Ray’s farm, Christmas performances, carol singing, visit to RAF Cosford, Jobs Focus Week etc) Which topic was your favourite? (Rainforest, Great Fire of London, On the Farm, Winter Wonderland, Great Britain, Travel & Transport etc) Which school trip was your favourite? (Blist Hill, fire station, Ray’s Farm, RAF Cosford etc) What excites you about joining Ash Class?
- Writing prompts:
- If you were a super hero, what would your super power be and why?
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would you eat?
- If your favourite toy came to life, what do you think it would get up to?
- If your pet could talk, what would it say?
- Write about the best day out you ever had.
- If you were a head teacher, what changes to school would you make?
- The new spelling bee honeycombs are below. (If you're not sure which colour your child should be accessing, get in touch).
- Blue Spelling Bee, Green Spelling bee, Red Spelling Bee
- This website contains some useful instructional videos: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zkxxsbk
To access some daily maths exercises, open this Powerpoint presentation file: Daily Maths Exercises (You can complete them on the computer, print them off or copy them down in your home learning book).
- If you're able to access Mathletics and Times Table Rockstars (for which your child has a login that can be found in their reading record) please make use of these education sites. They allow your child to practise a wide range of mathematical skills in a fun way. Either download the apps or use the following links to access their websites:
- Mathletics: https://login.mathletics.com/
- TT Rockstars: https://ttrockstars.com/
- You can access a range of maths games using this link: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/Search.aspx?Subject=16&AgeGroup=2
- What sorts of plants can be found under the sea? Maybe you could draw some pictures with labels on...
- How can we look after our oceans? This website contains some useful information and some interesting videos: https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/joinin/how-to-help-our-oceans
- With an adult’s permission, go on a bug hunt in your garden or in your local area. How many different bugs can you find?
- Have a go at bird spotting in your garden and keep a record of what types of birds you see. Here is a guide to help you: https://www.ecokidsplanet.co.uk/blogs/news/handy-little-guide-to-the-uk-s-top-10-garden-birds
- Next time that you go on a walk, see if you can identify any of the trees or flowers. Useful resources: https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t2-s-874-tree-identification-photo-sheet and https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t-t-289749-flower-identification-display-posters
- This half term, I would like you to learn about a religion called Judaism.
- I’m sure you’ve heard of Hannukah before. Hannukah is a very special Jewish celebration. Find out some facts about Hannukah.
- The Jewish holy book is called the Torah Scroll. Watch this video to find out more information: https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/class-clips-video/religious-studies-ks2-the-torah/zhs2t39
- With the help of an adult, could you have a go at making your own Torah Scroll? There are lots of ideas online. Here’s one way of making one… https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t-re-495-ks1-make-your-own-scroll-craft-instructions
- Shabbat is the Jewish day of rest. Watch this video clip and find out how Shabbat can be celebrated in a Jewish home: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/clips/z3hyr82
- Here is a funny little Shabbat song that you can sing along to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEovjkXrD4s
- Could you help out with some gardening? Gardening can be very physical and it is therefore, a great form of exercise.
- Design your own workout for a family member or friend. Make sure you test it out!
- There are lots of other ideas on: https://www.energizestw.org.uk/primary
This half term, our topic is ‘Beside the Seaside’.
- Have you ever watched a Punch and Judy show? These shows used to be really popular at many seaside resorts.
Could you make your own puppet(s) and put on a little puppet show at home?
- How can you stay safe on the beach? Going to the seaside is so much fun but it’s important that you know how to stay safe. Either write some seaside safety rules or create a ‘seaside safety’ video, in which you explain how to stay safe on the beach. This video clip/website might be a good place to start: https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/watch/top-tips-for-staying-safe-at-the-beach