Learn From Home Elm
An Elm class video tutorial page with worksheets is available at: https://barrow1618school.co.uk/learning-from-home-video-elm
Maths focus WB 1/6/20: Year 1- measuring, Year 2- times tables
Parents/Carers: In light of current events, here are some links to some stories/songs that address discrimination and equality:
'The Other Side' by Jacqueline Woodson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx0L8QHOEo8
'All are welcome' by Alexandra Penfold & Suzanne Kaufman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc8IEcr1Uwc
'Everyone Belongs' (Your child may recognise this song from school): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ1QEE_RXP8
Everyday, there will be a phonics lesson posted on Ruth Miskin's Youtube channel. Follow this link to access the lessons, which will each be available for 24 hours: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo7fbLgY2oA_cFCIg9GdxtQ
- Please ensure that your child reads either their school book or should they complete it, a book of their choice for 20 minutes. I understand that parents/carers may not have the time to listen to their child every day and so even if your child reads to their self, this would really benefit them. Make use of your reading at home chart so that on your child's return to school, they can redeem lots of extra Dojo points! Inside your child's learning from home pack you will find a list of question types to ask your child about their book.
New! I would love to receive a letter from you, telling me about what you got up to last week. Don't forget to use capital letters and full stops!
- New! The new spelling bee honeycombs are below. (If you're not sure which colour your child should be accessing, get in touch).
- Blue Spelling Bee, Green Spelling bee, Red Spelling Bee
- This website contains some useful instructional videos: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zkxxsbk
White Rose Maths and BBC bitesize are providing daily online lessons. To access the Year 1 lessons, follow either of these links: https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-1/ or https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/tags/zjpqqp3/year-1-and-p2-lessons/1
To access the Year 2 lessons, follow either of these links: https://whiterosemaths.com/homelearning/year-2/ or https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/tags/z7s22sg/year-2-and-p3-lessons/1
To access some daily maths exercises, open this Powerpoint presentation file: Daily Maths Exercises (You can complete them on the computer, print them off or copy them down in your home learning book).
- If you're able to access Mathletics and Times Table Rockstars (for which your child has a login that can be found in their reading record) please make use of these education sites. They allow your child to practise a wide range of mathematical skills in a fun way. Either download the apps or use the following links to access their websites:
- Mathletics: https://login.mathletics.com/
- TT Rockstars: https://ttrockstars.com/
- You can access a range of maths games using this link: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/Search.aspx?Subject=16&AgeGroup=2
- New! What is a habitat? If you're not sure- could you find out? What sort of habitat does a bird have? What about a bee? Either draw some pictures of these habitats or write about them
- Have a go at bird spotting in your garden and keep a record of what types of birds you see. Here is a guide to help you: https://www.ecokidsplanet.co.uk/blogs/news/handy-little-guide-to-the-uk-s-top-10-garden-birds
- Next time that you go on a walk, see if you can identify any of the trees or flowers. Useful resources: https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t2-s-874-tree-identification-photo-sheet and https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t-t-289749-flower-identification-display-posters
- Plant some seeds (with the help of a grown up) and keep a diary of their growth. Think carefully about what a plant needs in order to grow healthily.
- With the permission from and help of a grown up, you could carry out a scientific experiment at home. This website has some fun ideas on it: http://www.sciencefun.org/kidszone/experiments/
- New! This half term, I would like you to learn about a different religion called Judaism. Start by following this link and watching the video titled 'Meet a Jewish family': https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/clips/zd9jxnb
- Write down some facts you heard on the video.
- Could you write a prayer for anybody who is having a difficult time right now? Perhaps you could write a prayer for those who are currently poorly or who are living in poverty.
- Daily P.E lessons are being posted on Joe Wicks' Youtube channel everyday at 9:00AM. These are each 30 minutes long. To join in the fun, follow this link: https://www.youtube.com/user/thebodycoach1
- Could you help out with some gardening? Gardening can be very physical and it is therefore, a great form of exercise.
- Design your own workout for a family member or friend. Make sure you test it out!
- There are lots of other ideas on: https://www.energizestw.org.uk/primary
New! This half term, our topic is ‘Beside the Seaside’.
- New! The Wildlife Trust have launched the '3O Days Wild' challenge, which your parents can you sign you up for by clicking on this link: https://action.wildlifetrusts.org/page/57739/petition/1 (You'll get a free, downloadable pack of goodies!)
- New! Draw a picture of a seaside resort. If you haven't been to the seaside before, have a look for some images to help you. Add labels to your picture.
Rob Biddulph (a famous children's author and illustrator) is posting step-by-step drawing tutorials on his YouTube channel. You can access his channel by following this link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpgrJijMpk_pyp9uTbxLdg
Work of the Week!
Well done to all of Elm for making so much effort with your home learning. Each week, I am going to share three pieces of work on this page.
Updated Friday 5th June
Sam produced a wonderful picture of the Seaside complete with labels.
Freya carried out some research about habitats.
This adventure has been taking part in the '30 Days Wild' Challenge. What a super start he has made! Here is he talking about some of his finds.